Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Cinderella 3: Genevieve

I was jealous of the kitchen on this side of the house with its granite counter tops, beautiful, almost stained glass looking floor tiles, a much fancier refrigerator, and stove. I was sure the kitchen in the servant's quarters at one point used to be spectacular, as it used to be the one my father would use in addition to this kitchen. When we had guests of high esteem, I remember my father pitching in to make appetizers on this side, while his chefs prepared the entrees and desserts for the elaborate feasts. Years of neglect in the servant's quarters had left it looking outdated and obsolete from the rest of the house. Shortly after my father was murdered, my stepmother fired all of his long time house staff, making me take over everything that they used to do. Of course, I wasn't able to do everything for her and my stepsisters on top of keeping my side of the house looking nice, so my side suffered.


Cooking for my stepsister Genevieve was the most difficult because she was a vegetarian and a health freak who constantly questioned everything I made for her. She would stand at the counter in the kitchen staring at me, scolding me if I dared put anything in her food that she considered unfit. I usually just made her a fruit breakfast of some sort with grains and yogurt, since she was the most satisfied with that. I had to cook everything simultaneously because if one stepsister's meal was ready before the other, and they couldn't eat at the same time, my stepmother would yell at me. Today I was making pancakes for Jacqueline and my stepmother, which meant cracking eggs. As I cracked the first egg into the batter, Genevieve glared in my direction.


"None of that filthy disgusting slime better come in touch with my breakfast, do you hear me, Thia?"

I ignored Genevieve, annoyed that she was calling me using only the last two syllables of my name. Honestly, I hated all the nicknames my stepsisters called me because they were all just annoying. Genevieve was not pleased that I was ignoring her, so she grabbed a wooden spoon off the counter and smacked it against the surface.

BANG-BANG-BANG.

"I'm not going to quit until you answer me, Thia. Mom's going to come out and slap you for making me mad. I wouldn't be banging this spoon if you would just answer me. Answer me, Thia, answer me!"


I decided to pick my battles, considering I didn't want to have a physical headache on top of the misery I already felt daily, so I told her she didn't have to worry about eggs in her breakfast and she stopped, throwing the spoon at me. It landed in the pancake batter, splashing some egg yolk onto my clothes. I sighed, wondering to myself how someone as immature as Genevieve could actually be the same age as me.

"Mom's going to teach me how to drive today. Are you jealous, Thia?! Are you? You should be, you little bitch, because you're the little slave who has to take taxis everywhere you go."

"Good. Maybe you'll crash and I won't have to see you anymore."

"CINDERELLA! How DARE you talk to my darling Genevieve that way!"


My stepmother's shrill cries of despair mixed with anger echoed through the kitchen, and I swear the pots and pans moved, just from the sound of her voice. She grabbed my right arm tightly, yanking me forward so hard that I lost my balance and nearly collided into her, only saving myself when I managed to gain my footing back on the slippery tile floor.

"Apologize, now, or I'll break this little arm, and make you do your chores one handed!"

"I'm sorry, Genevieve."

"That's better, Cinderella. Now hurry up and make breakfast. I'm hungry. You've stalled long enough."


Stepmother let my arm go, but not before practically throwing it back at me as if it was a filthy piece of garbage she was sick of touching. My arm flew backwards and I bit my lip as I tried not to scream from the pain radiating from where my wrist had come into contact with the counter behind me. I braced myself and took a deep breath, trying to continue making breakfast now that I was injured. It's okay, Cynthia, it's better than it could be, your arm isn't broken, or burnt, you can do this. I gave myself a pep talk, tuning Genevieve out as she continued to blab on about nothing. She was a typical sixteen year old, who enjoyed 'texting her besties' and being over-dramatic about everything in her stupid life.


"Oh my God, Thia! I am so excited to learn how to drive. Ugh, I can drive Lindsey and Rebecca to the mall with me, and we can go stare at the hot guy who works at Foot Locker. Oh my God! He's like, the cutest guy ever, Thia. He has huge muscles, ugh, I just want him to hold me in his big arms. He's so cute he would never even look at a lowly slave like you. Ugh, I think he has a crush on me because he totally smiles at me, a lot, like more than at Lindsey and Rebecca. I'm not surprised, cause even though I have stupid glasses and stupid freckles, Lindsey and Rebecca are way uglier than me, cause Lindsey's got kind of an ugly hair color, and Rebecca has really bad teeth, so like, he wouldn't be looking at them at all. Aren't you so happy for me, Thia?"


I flashed a fake smile at Genevieve and nodded. I didn't know or care whether Genevieve knew I was being fake with her or not, but at the same time she probably didn't care as long as I nodded and let her talk. I smiled for real when I thought to myself that Genevieve was probably too stupid to know the difference between a real smile and a fake one. Despite the pain in my arm from my stepmother's earlier assault on me, I managed to finish making breakfast. I put everything on the table, and then my stepmother waved me away from the kitchen as if I was a fly and would somehow taint their food if I stayed in the room while they were eating. I took advantage of the dismissal and used the easy access door from the good kitchen to the servants' kitchen. When I was finally alone, I grabbed my arm and looked at it, seeing that it was red and starting to bruise. It was sensitive to the touch, and I was irritated because it was only 10am and I had already been slapped twice, pinched on the cheek, grabbed, had various things thrown at me, and banged my arm on the counter.


I knew my stepmother and stepsisters wouldn't bother me for a while, as they always seemed to take a long time to eat their meals, and then they would sit around talking. I made my way to the bedroom that had a bathtub in it because I really wanted to soak my arm and give it some water therapy. I had a bittersweet feeling when I went into the bedroom because it was the room where my old crib and high chair had been stashed when my stepmother was ridding the 'good' part of  the house of my presence. My childhood items always reminded me of my father, and I missed him.


I wasn't sure how my father was completely blinded by my stepmother's cruelty. I didn't know how someone as mean as her could even fake being nice and have it be believable. Perhaps there were things about relationships and love that I just didn't understand. It made sense because I never got the chance to date or even really hang out with boys. I was old enough now, of course, but there was no way my stepmother would let me do anything fun or normal. I believed in love, however, because I just couldn't fathom that the universe was evil enough to subject me to a life of misery forever. I also believed that someday I could live a different life. I didn't know how, but I knew I would fight hard to figure it out, or die trying.


15 comments:

  1. One day . . . that guy at Foot Locker will be looking at someone else . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. well, I haven't exactly said the guy at Foot Locker is Prince Charming...

      Delete
    2. Heh, I know. Just . . . thinking ahead.

      Delete

  2. Ahhh Genevieve's a vegetarian...I tried doing that numerous times and I always stop after like a week lol but I probably will get into that mood and try to do it again but yeah...It definitely is a pain in the ass putting meals together when you're a vegetarian, poor Cinderella. You always question things like "Hmm is this all my daily nutrients and am I getting enough protein because I'm not eating meat" ....so annoying yet I still want to do it for the long run lol. That's Genevieve's problem though, not Cinderella's, the least she could do is plan her meals before Cinderella gets there and just have her cook/prepare them.....

    Genevieve was a major bitch though, someone needed to put crazy glue on her lips....All the bragging and demands she was saying got me irritated and I'm not even Cinderella lol. I mean I understand Genevieve's excitement towards driving and being able to do more mature things but she was just straight up annoying when she was talking about it. And when she was talking shit about her own friends....I hate girls like that. I really think she's insecure with herself though. Ugh she reminds me of this girl I know...she never shuts up, she just goes on and on, bragging about shit and getting mad when other people have an accomplishment, she tries to overshine them and I'm just sitting there like..."Birch stfu, no one cares" lol of course I never actually say that though lmao...

    "My stepmother's shrill cries of despair mixed with anger echoed through the kitchen, and I swear the pots and pans moved, just from the sound of her voice." :)

    Can't wait to see her break free *queue the Ariana Grande song* lamp but seriously, she needs to go out into the real world and stop being a slave to these wicked women, even if they are her family members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never be a vegetarian. I like meat too much, and I know for a fact the muscles I do have wouldn't be there without the help of the rich protein I get from meat. I know there's other foods that have protein as well, but you always have to eat tons and tons of it to even get the same amount of protein you get from meat. Genevieve's vegetarian because I had to pick two traits for her after I picked the mandatory three that the challenge says to give to the stepsisters, and I wanted to pick a trait that I could use in the story to make Genevieve annoy Cinderella. Pahaha, if Genevieve wasn't a spoiled brat she might try to help Cinderella, but she's the evil stepsister, so... yeah, that'll never happen. LOL.

      She definitely needs duct tape or something on her mouth. LOL. She's the typical, bratty sixteen year old, who thinks the world revolves around her, so bragging is just second nature to her. Genevieve is insecure, she doesn't like that she has to wear glasses and she hates her freckles. She likes to project insecurities onto her friends, so that she can feel better about herself.

      D'aww... ^_^ glad you liked that part. XD

      Haha, this is just the morning, Cinderella's got her whole day ahead of her, LOL. Later on, you'll get to see more of what she does other than interact with her retarded stepfamily.

      Delete
  3. I really like that kitchen, it's pretty :D
    *picks up wooden spoon*
    *cracks Genevieve across the jaw with it*
    LOL I mean, I know they're all supposed to be little bitches because it's Cinderella, but damn, it still makes me so mad, this fairy tale. Of course the real one isn't as cruel as yours hahaha >:D
    I really hope Genevieve DOES get into a car accident, along with her stepmother, but of course, that's just wishful thinking. XD
    Hmm, and I don't quite remember the story of Cinderella as far as their ages, I was curious, so what are the stepsisters ages, as well as Cinderella? I can't remember. Like, oldest to youngest, I suppose.
    Great chapter :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. ^_^
      Phahaha, nice, Genevieve totally deserves it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I ramped up the cruelty and brutalness up like a million percent compared to the Disney version. LOL, and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. Muahaha.
      LOL that would be really funny if the stepmom and Genevieve went out driving and got into a car accident, and then Genevieve got deformed, and then her friends started making fun of her instead. Ahh good times. XD
      In the Disney Cinderella, their ages aren't defined, but the oldest is Drizella, then Cinderella, then Anastasia.
      In my story, Jacqueline is Drizella's equivalent, and she's 18, and the oldest. Genevieve is Anastasia's equivalent, and she is 16, the same age as Cinderella.
      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. I really thought that it couldn't get much worse, but Genevieve is SUCH a terrible person, ugh, the way that she was bitching about her friends like that? I'm surprised she even has any lol. I'm curious about the hot guy in foot locker. Could be be the prince????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well, in my stories, things can always get worse. I tend to always write like that. XD Not to say when the prince comes and all that it'll be depressing or whatever, cause happy moments will still be happy, but just saying that I have a way of seeing the darkness in situations and amplifying them.
      Genevieve is a bratty teenager with no loyalty to anyone except her mother and Jacqueline. She just wants to brag and be the center of attention all the time. She really only keeps her friends around to make her look better. *slaps her* LOL. Her friends have really low confidence, and Genevieve is popular in school (only god knows why ROFL) so her friends hang around her for the status.
      Nah, the hot guy working at Foot Locker is just a random guy I was having Genevieve blab about. The prince will be someone much more interesting. LOL.
      Thank you for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  5. haha omg. I hate her so much already, I can't stand it. It's funny. I need to laugh or I'll scream, I guess. Genevieve is verrrrry insistent about her food, hmm. Obviously Cynthia isn't going to put egg in your yogurt parfait, idjiot. haha Or maybe she will when you turn your back. Wahahaha. Holy. Crap. I'm envisioning my fist connecting with Genevieve's face right now. >:0 You were correct, Genevieve is just as terrible as her sister, but in a different way and almost worse. She takes joy in flaunting everything that Cynthia can't/doesn't have in her face and continuously nattering on about it. Jimminy. She needs to be smacked upside the head with that bloody wooden spoon. *rolls eyes*

    Ahh, I can't wait until Cynthia is able to leave that house and find happiness. With a nice kitchen. ;) lol I do like that one though. It's fancy. Really great chapter, lovely! Very much looking forward to more. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL good, good. *rubs hands together evilly* Just kidding. XD Genevieve is really particular about her meals, even more so because Cynthia is making them, and it gives her a chance to be mean to Cynthia. *rolls eyes* She might not care that much, but because she wants to make Cynthia's life hell, she pretends like she does.

      Genevieve is a very "I need to be the center of attention" kind of person, and when she has things, she loves to let everyone know she has it, even if no one cares that she has those things. She's really bratty and talks just to talk, mostly she talks about shallow crap no one cares about, LOL. *gives you many wooden spoons to beat her with*

      LOL thanks for the compliments, I enjoyed that little kitchen too, it's cute and cozy.

      Delete
  6. I decided to become a lacto-ovo-vegetarian when I was in middle school (and still am) and understand how much of a pain it can be to the non-vegetarians, (luckily, my family was supportive and were willing to try some of the meatless things I made, in turn I helped prepare dinners, etc.) however Genevieve is such a bitch about it...

    I feel awful for Cynthia; I cannot wait until she moves out and escapes her treacherous step family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genevieve is a total bitch. LOL. She doesn't like Cynthia, partly because her mother told her to be mean to her, and partly because Genevieve is just a bratty person in general. She doesn't care that her sister and mother aren't vegetarian, she just doesn't want her own dish to have meat or egg in it, so it causes Cynthia to have to prepare separate meals designed for Genevieve. Being vegetarian is a way for Genevieve to "appear special" in the family, because she has to have different meals for herself, it makes her feel like she's getting special treatment. She loves to be the center of attention and brag about all her stupid crap, even if no one else cares about it.

      LOL, Cynthia can't wait to move out either, but sadly for now, she is stuck where she is.

      Delete