Saturday, February 21, 2015

Cinderella One: ...HER


My father sat with me on the couch, one arm draped comfortingly around my shoulders, while his other arm was by his side holding the remote control. We were watching The Food Network and learning how to make some really fancy looking entrees. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the crack under the front door started letting water into the house. I panicked and Father held me tighter. The water started coming in faster and faster, and Father was up on his feet trying to run away from it as quickly as he could, carrying me over his shoulder. Pretty soon, I could feel the current rising and gaining in strength, and Father had to change from running to swimming because he could no longer feel the solid ground beneath his feet. There was a dry point atop a bookcase and Father put me up on the highest shelf, then tried to climb up to join me so we could use the bookcase as a life raft. He had almost gotten to the top when a piece of debris from our house that had gotten sucked into the current smacked him on the head and he fell. I tried to grab his hand, but I couldn't and he sank to the depths, forever being confined to his watery grave.



“NOOO!”

I awoke with a start, wishing that I would one day stop having this dream, the same dream that had been haunting me ever since my father drowned when I was five. In every version of the dream, I am the age I was at the time I had it, and I always try to save my father, but it always ends up with him disappearing forever. I was sixteen now and I didn't have a loving family anymore. With my father’s death came the death of everything else I knew. I still think that my stepmother was the one, the person who had killed him, but she was too smart and she left no evidence behind to lead anyone to suspect her. I had barely gotten dressed for the day when a harsh pounding on my door led me to stop thinking of things long past, and the knocking didn't stop until I opened the large wooden plank that separated me from … her.

“CINDERELLA! What have I told you about SCREAMING IN YOUR SLEEP?! How am I supposed to get ANY beauty sleep with you howling away like a dog?!”


I growled under my breath because I figured my stepmother couldn't even hear me anyway. She was screaming so loud that she probably woke up half the neighborhood. My name was Cynthia, but my stepmother preferred to call me Cinderella, which was a horrible nickname that my fat stepsister, Jacqueline, called me one day as I was cleaning up after one of their lavish dinner parties. I had soot on my face and clothes from scrubbing the sides of the brick walls enclosing the fireplace, and Jacqueline had told me to stop rolling around in the cinders and be a proper girl.


My stepmother pushed past me, entering my room, glaring at me with her cold green eyes, hands on her hips, standing in front of me like a rock in her stupid bright orange pajamas and ugly rollers in her hair, refusing to let me pass.  Every time I tried to go towards my bed to make it, she would move in front of me on purpose. It’s like when you and a person run into each other, and then neither one of you knows what to do to get around the other, so you end up doing an irritating dance of sorts until you finally break away and move on.


I stood there with my arms across my chest, glaring back at my stepmother and scowling at her, not caring that I was openly showing her disrespect. I didn't understand why she felt the need to waste my time like this so often. It seemed so dumb because if she wanted me to cook her breakfast, it was going to take longer now that she wasn't letting me do my chores.

“Well. Aren't you going to make your bed? Or answer my question?”

“I had one of my bad dreams again.”

“Oh come now. Did you really think I gave a shit about what you were howling about? I just wanted you to stop being so noisy. Now go make your bed.”

I went to do as she said and she stepped in front of me again. I rolled my eyes and defied her, which was a big mistake.


“What was that? Did you just give me sass with those ugly blue eyes of yours?”

I regretted my actions as soon as I felt the sting of my stepmother’s hand slapping me across the face, first on my right cheek, and then again as I was backhanded across my left cheek.


“Ugh. Your hair looks like dry straw. You are so ugly. Now make your bed, both of my daughters' beds, and then report to me in the dining room. NO arguments. Do you hear me, Cinderella?! This time I want a proper fucking answer.”

I curtsied towards my stepmother, and bowed my head as low as I could go.

“Yes, madame.”

“Perfect. That’s my ugly little girl.”

I stood back up, and my stepmother pinched my cheek roughly as she uttered her condescending words and spun around on her heel, closing the door behind her and leaving me alone in my room once again.


13 comments:

  1. Damn.. What. A. Bitch. LOL I wanted to jump through my screen into the story and strangle her to death. I do like that Cynthia gave her some sass back, even if she did still get punished for it. I like her and her attitude XD Her story about her dad though made me sad for her. T_T
    Very cool start. I really like these Disney challenges, I'm eager to read more ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well thank you. XD
      I did want to write Cynthia as a somewhat sarcastic, snarky girl, damaged by how life has treated her, so she's developed a bit of an attitude problem. Granted of course, her attitude is completely justified here cause her stepmother is a dumb bitch. LOL. Yeah, her poor father T_T he was so young, he didn't get to live his life really that much before he was axed.
      Thank you haha, I always do male-centric stories, so I thought trying one out that was female-centric might be kind of fun, since I do enjoy the Disney princesses. LOL.
      Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. Okay i like this - stepmomma is such a raging bitch lol. If i was cynthia i'd be outta there like a shot. Can't wait to read about the stepsisters, i bet that they're just as vile.

    This is a cool challenge thingy - excited to read on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Welcome!
      Haha, I'm glad you like it, to be honest, I had great fun writing the dialogue for the stepmom, it's like really? How much of a bitch are you, stepmom? LOL. Heehee, life outside of the house and away from... HER would probably be a lot better for Cynthia, this is true. Haha yes, the stepsisters, their dialogue is just as fun as the stepmom's. XD

      Thank you for the kind words and for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. The death of Cynthia's father is so sad! And she witnessed it?! I'd have nightmares, too, I'm sure. Wow, what a vile lady. I do love though, that Cynthia stood up for herself a little there. It's a nice twist in the Disney version so many of us are used to. If her step-mother is this bad, I can just imagine that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree with the step-sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she didn't witness it as in see who did it and how he drowned, but she found his body. :( Not something a five year old, or anyone for that matter, should have to experience, ever. LOL, the stepmom's really ridiculous isn't she? Yes, Cynthia has an attitude. XD I wanted to write her personality as a little sarcastic and snarky, rather than her just playing the victim all the time. She'll still be abused quite a bit, but she won't be as weak as some of the other versions I have seen of Cinderella, not that those are bad. :D Haha, the stepsisters will each have their own ways of insulting Cynthia, just like their mother.
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. Well this is kind of embarrassing but I wasn't really into Disney when I was younger lol but I remember the princesses faintly...I love Pocahontas and Mulan was pretty cool too. I remember a year ago my English teacher made us look for sexist situations in the story and she was like "Oh I'm pretty sure you guys all know the story by heart" ....Awkward lol. :P


    I like the way you wrote this though, it doesn't really feel like the same old Cinderella story that I somewhat already know. Especially the curse words And the slapping ... Yes honey! Lol :)


    Part of me is wondering what would happen if one day she didn't open up the wooden plank...Hmmm. Her step mom is a batch though...Can't wait until she meets her Prince :D

    Nice little challenge, something different. Nice poses too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...I meant bitch not batch....spell check needs to learn a thing or two about swear words :/

      Delete
    2. Aww, why's it embarrassing? LOL, it's not a requirement to be into Disney as a child. XD My mom bought lots of the Disney movies for me so I'd have stuff to watch, so I saw them quite often. My favorite movies were Aladdin and Pocahontas. LOL, to be honest, I haven't seen Cinderella in a while, probably like not since I was like 10 or something. Haha, so details of the movie are eluding me, I just remember the gist of it. I've also never seen Beauty and the Beast, but heard of the main story line and all that good stuff.

      Thank you, haha, I wanted Cinderella to be sarcastic and snarky, even though she is still the victim in the story, she doesn't have to act weak. Pahaha, you know me, I put swearing in everything, and this will be a mature take on the Disney stories for sure.

      LOL, if she didn't open the door, she'd probably suffer a broken nose cause Stepmom would break it down and beat her up or something. I still haven't figured out how or where she's going to meet the Prince, but I'm sure it will be exciting. Haha. LOL I know you meant bitch, autocorrect is retarded. Is there a way to save words you want into your phone dictionary? That's usually what I do with swear words. For the longest time, it was changing "fuck" to "duck" so I had to add the word to my dictionary and now it doesn't say "duck" anymore LOL. *slaps autocorrect*

      Thanks for stopping by and reading this, and leaving me comments. Haha, thanks, I had fun with the poses. I will definitely be making a lot more. XD

      Delete
  5. Lol, seriously. If I were part Cynthia, and part me, and this were like a modern day setting, I'd totally hurt her. Too bad Cynthia doesn't really have the power to do so xD
    Cynthia's hair color kinda reminds me of my (sadly) old legacy Cynthia Emeralds hair color.
    I've been looking at this challenge, seeing if I want to do it, but I'm not quite sure. I a rather young-ish writer, so I have a hard time committing to one thing because of the "you have to update" pressure.
    Great start! I'm hooked and totally coming back for more~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah, Cynthia really can't do anything, as much as she wants to. Plus the story would be over before it even began if she just ran away or something, and we can't have that. XD
      Awww haha, I kept the classic "Cinderella is a blonde girl" in my story, that's funny that it's the same as your Cynthia's hair color.

      Ahh, yeah, I don't let anyone pressure me into "you have to update." I write for myself, and if I'm on a roll with the story and updating often, then that's what I do, but if I'm stuck with the story and updating less often, then that's what I do.

      Thank you! I appreciate your support for my stories, parabee. :)

      Delete
  6. I've seen this on your story list on EoE's blog and have been meaning to read it, since I was obsessed with Disney as a child, I just kept forgetting to. *blushes*

    I agree with the other commenters; Cythina's (step-)mommy dearest is a loathsome, despicable bitch. I cannot imagine having to go through what she does, everyday. I'm eager to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's okay. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Cynthia's stepmom is crazy, LOL, and she is to be hated... very very much. Haha, you'll find out more about the rest of Cynthia's day in the next few chapters, this is only like the first ten minutes after she wakes up... the poor girl. XD

      Delete