Monday, April 6, 2015

Cinderella 4: Days Go On

After the bath, my arm felt a lot better even though it was now a disgusting shade of purple. I got dressed in the same clothes I had on earlier, because I still had a lot of cleaning to do. The next thing on my cleaning schedule was my stepmother's room, and the quickest way to her room was through the kitchen door. I sighed, knowing that there was a chance I would have to walk past my stepfamily since they would probably still be eating breakfast, and knowing that they would probably not be able to resist insulting me as I walked by them. Still, the morning had to go on, so I opened the door and nearly power walked through the dining room to my destination. I heard my stepsisters snickering among each other, knowing that they were making fun of me, but not caring as I opened my stepmother's bedroom door and shut it behind me.


The overwhelming stench of stale beer and wine permeated my nose, making me immediately feel like the bath I had just taken was for naught. My stepmother was an alcoholic, but a functioning one. She never got so drunk that she passed out... except for late at night. I'm pretty sure she drank excessively every night before she went to sleep, just based on how many beer bottles and empty bottles of wine I had to pick up every morning. I wasn't sure why she drank so much, but if I was as big of a bitch as her, I might drink a lot too to try to forget how much of a bitch I was. I sprayed Febreze around the surfaces I wiped down and straightened because that was the only way to get the stink out of her room. I wondered if she had gone nose blind to the smells, or if my air freshening efforts were so effective, that I was the only one unlucky enough to be exposed to them.


I don't remember her being an alcoholic when my father was still alive, and I wondered what had made her start. Then again, did she really need a reason? She wasn't exactly a good person, I know she had her eyes on my father's money, rather than on him as a person. Even when I was a little girl, I always had the feeling she was evil.When they first started dating, I would shy away from her because I was afraid, and that's when the distance between my father and I started. My stepmother would pick me up and hold me, but I never felt comfortable. I used to cry when she picked me up because I never felt any warmth from her when I was in her arms, and she made me feel like something bad was going to happen. I saw that my father was sad about my behavior towards her, so I tried harder to be strong when she hugged me. Once my father saw I was making nice with her, he was back to his warm, loving self.  It still baffles me to this day why my father couldn't see past my stepmother's cold exterior.


I wondered if it was because she hid that cold, distant part of herself from my father. I know now how manipulative she is, so she for sure played him until she got him right where she wanted him. I knew one of my father's biggest flaws was him trying to see the good in everyone. Perhaps that's where he went wrong, maybe he didn't want to believe she was cold and calculating, even though he may have felt that way about her? Oh Papa, you may have been too kind for your own good. The part of my day when I missed my father the most was when I cleaned my stepmother's room. I speculated about how they met, remembering the day when my father brought her home with him to meet me one day, saying he kept running into her at the park when he would go for a morning jog. My mind was reeling with ideas, and I seriously had a hunch that she was stalking him, making it seem like it was coincidence that she was always at the park. She probably already knew he was rich, knew who he was, where he lived, that he had a daughter. Ugh, it disgusted me to think that she might have been stalking my father as if he was a piece of prey. I hated her so much.


I finished cleaning her room, and put the bottles in a bag, so that I could take them to the recycling center. It was one of my favorite parts of my day, when I could leave the house and be alone, away from the cruel glares and ugly words. I had one more unpleasant thing to do before I could leave, however, and that was to get money from my stepmother so I could pick up some fresh fruits and vegetables. She had wanted me to start a garden the other day, and I hadn't gotten around to it yet. I went upstairs and changed out of my cleaning dress into some casual clothes. Afterwards, I went to go find my stepmother.


"WHAT, Cinderella?! Whatever do you want?"

"I am going to take the bottles to the recycling center, and I need some money to buy groceries."

"Oh, right, of course. Here is $40. Everything better match up price wise with what you come home with, little bitch, or you'll have a very unpleasant afternoon."


"Yes, madame."

"I love when you behave like the little slave you are. It makes me proud of you. Now run along."

I hated having to pretend I was agreeable with my stepmother, but I always made sure that I catered to her whenever I needed to run errands because I loved leaving the house. If I gave her attitude, she would lock me in the servants' quarters and I wouldn't be allowed outside until the next day. I know because I tried it once. I know that going out and being in the daylight helps me a lot with the situation I am in, it gives me a sense of sanity, and normalcy, which I need because I have such a shitty home life.


With the money in hand, I put the bills in my pocket and grabbed the bag of bottles, then headed out the door. As soon as I stepped outside and smelled the fresh air, I felt a burning desire to run away, but I knew I couldn't do that right now. Maybe someday, but not today. Still, being outside was exhilarating, and I finally had time to myself to just enjoy my surroundings, rather than cringing at every turn. Freeeeeeedooooommmm! My thoughts went to silly imitations of war movies where they fight for freedom.


I dropped off the recycling first, and then went to the grocery store. One thing that my stepmother did well was that she didn't care how long it took me to run errands as long as I came home to cook dinner. Her and my stepsisters usually went to a restaurant for lunch, or ordered take out, so I didn't have to cook for them. This gave me multiple hours away from her so that I could breathe. Most people would probably not find a grocery store very exciting, but from my perspective, it was heaven. The brightly colored produce and the fresh smells were intoxicating, and I savored every moment of my time at the store, not caring that it was ridiculous for me to enjoy a grocery store so much. I spent as much time browsing the aisles as I could, which usually meant I wandered the entire store after picking out the groceries I needed.


When I got back home, I put all the groceries in the refrigerator, and cleaned up the leftover pizza, ignoring my stepsisters who seemed to be entranced with the bass that my stepmother had recently bought. One of them would play, while the other would listen, and surprisingly, they would take turns, only bickering occasionally about who got to play it first. I went upstairs and changed back into my ratty dress so that I could make dinner, knowing that I'd become dirty again while doing it.


Once that was all done, and my stepmother and stepsisters were happily shoveling their food into their ugly mouths, I went into my part of the house again and made myself a bowl of ramen noodles. Naturally, I wasn't allowed to have any fresh fruit, meat, or vegetables on my side of the house, and I doubted that would change once I started the garden. The only thing my stepmother would allow me to have was ramen. Luckily, I didn't mind the taste of it, but it was boring to eat ramen all the time, even though I did pick up multiple flavors for myself.


I looked at the clock, and saw that it was almost 7pm. I was grateful that my day was almost over. All I had left to do for my stepmother was clean up after their dinner, and I would get the rest of the evening to myself. The only thing that was good about her hating me so much was that unless she needed something from me, she left me alone because she couldn't stand the sight of me. After finishing my dinner, I cleaned up, then prepared myself to go back out to the main house. I went to the kitchen and started busying myself with the dishes, trying to ignore the shrieks of Jacqueline and Genevieve who were bickering among each other.


"Genevieve!! It's my turn to play the bass!!"

"Ugh, no it's not, Jacqueline! You already played it after lunch today! I haven't gotten to play it since yesterday!"

"But.. but, Genevieve!"

"Girls! Girls! Please. My ears. Now, what is the problem?"


My stepmother settled the dispute between my stepsisters, without laying a hand on them, and they immediately stopped whining, which was a good thing, despite the fact that I hated that she was so nice to my stepsisters while she treated me like dirt. It's not to say that I didn't think she should be nice to her own daughters, but she didn't have to treat me like I didn't matter. That's how I knew she was evil, she was only nice to people if it suited her, not because she felt like she should be a decent person. In this case, she was trying to get her daughters to stop fighting so she would be spared a headache. Jacqueline sat down and started playing the piano, while Genevieve strummed the bass, and my stepmother went to sit on the couch, resuming her relaxation, or whatever the fuck it was she did all day. I finished in the kitchen, glad that everyone had ignored me, and went back into the servants' quarters.


I breathed a sigh of relief, smiling to myself that I had finally finished my torturous day, satisfied that I would be left alone from now until tomorrow morning. I changed into my sweats, throwing my nasty stain covered dress into the hamper. I exited the laundry room and stood in front of the sculpting station I had found tucked away in a corner of the servants' quarters. It had been my father's property originally, and he had used it to make lots of different things that he sold for money in the early days of his marriage to my mother. I still don't really know why my mother left, my father always told me that she wanted something else for her life, but that it wasn't my fault. I believed him that it wasn't because of me, but I do wonder now what exactly made her leave. Sometimes I speculate, if my mother could have seen what would become of me, would she have stayed to spare me such a horrible life? In that case, my evil stepmother might actually be a better mother than mine was because at least she's in my stepsisters' lives.


Slashing and hacking away at the sculpting station really served to relieve the stress of my day, plus the added benefit of creating something. Usually, I just put the things I made throughout the house to make it more elegant because my stepmother didn't care if I did that.. I know if I tried to sell things I made, my stepmother would probably take the station away, or even worse, destroy it. I couldn't bear to have something that was my father's fall into her hands. I knew how her mind worked, and she wanted me to be her slave, forbidding me to have anything nice for myself, and that included using any of my skills to earn money. I stopped sculpting, putting down my hammer and chisel since I was tired, and decided to just read before bed. I wished I had a television or anything else other than just the bare essentials. As I crawled into bed, I hoped I would have sweet dreams tonight.


10 comments:

  1. "...if I was as big of a bitch as her, I might drink a lot too to try to forget how much of a bitch I was." Her sass is so wonderful; she's in a horrible situation, so her attitude is justified.

    I'm just eager for her to be able to leave and make her life better. Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks, I enjoyed writing that line. Cynthia isn't afraid to be strong despite her crappy circumstances. Yeah, she wouldn't say stuff like that in her head to people who were nice to her, but she has developed quite the attitude because she needs to survive. LOL.

      Haha, yeah, it is a fairy tale, so she will find her happily ever after eventually, but for now I am having a lot of fun making her stepfamily torture her, while she throws comebacks at them. XD Thanks so much for reading and leaving me all these comments. :)

      Delete
  2. Lol, the first thing I can relate to/point out is that I love ramen xD. I used to eat it every day on school days and still sometimes do.

    I think that she has a small streak of her father's optimism in her. Because she can still point out the small joys in her daily torturous life.

    I've been thinking that she could probably make something small and sell it privately at the consignment store or something. Although her stupid stepmother can always find a way to ruin things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I love ramen too. It's yummy. XD I still eat it quite a bit.

      You're right, Cynthia does have optimism in her, she knows she's already miserable, so she tries to find little things to make her feel better. It helps her feel not as depressed as she would be if she was pessimistic.

      LOL, her stepmother keeps tabs on her, so it's not as easy for her to get away with things as you might think. She has tried in the past to do things her stepmother forbid her from doing, but she always got caught and punished very cruelly, like way more than just getting slapped. With something as precious to her as her father's sculpting station, Cynthia is not going to take the chance of her stepmother finding out and probably destroying one of the only memories she has of her father. That's the main thing stopping her from trying to sell something at the consignment store. Just because her stepmother leaves her alone after she's done cleaning up after dinner, doesn't mean that she gets to be free. Her stepmother has ways of watching her and making sure Cynthia gets no pleasure out of life.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. It is interesting that the stepmother didn't used to be such an alchy, but now drinks so much. I wonder why. Although, I'm sure it could be like what Cynthia thought, that she's just a bitter old hag and the alcohol helps her cope. What a trio we have here. A slob, a snobby child, and an alcoholic B. haha I'm glad that she is able to leave the house every so often. I can just imagine how much of an escape getting away for a few hours can be. And although she's not able to sell her sculptures for money to save up so that she can leave her tyrannical stepmother's influences, at least she is able to feel close to her father when she's at the workstation. I really liked this chapter. It was such a nice surprise to see you had another update ready. :) Like I said elsewhere, I was in a Cinderella mood and this hit the spot. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, while Cynthia's father was alive, she didn't drink like an alcoholic. Mostly, she's just bored, and has a lot of time to sit around and drink. LOL. Cynthia's father had a lot of money, so she's not in any hurry to find a new man to snag money from, plus she's smart, and knows Cynthia would probably speak up and ruin her thing she had going with any new man, so she's not taking any chances.

      Cynthia is so grateful that she gets to leave the house as well, it does wonders for her sanity. She just has to behave for the most part for her stepmother so she doesn't get her privileges taken away. Mm-hmm, that's exactly right, Cynthia tries her best to find little things in her life that give her some sort of happiness, and the sculpting station is one of those things.

      Aww thank you, LOL. I actually thought it was cool that you thought I was quick about it because in my head, I felt like I was being slow with updating this. LOL. Haha, I am glad I could fuel your Cinderella addiction. XD

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. A functioning alcoholic, eh? Nice. lol :) That explains a whole lot. :P

    It's kind of odd to think that her step mother was stalking her dad but I wouldn't put it past her. Sometimes seeing the "good" in everyone can really hurt you in the long run... There has to be some point when the bad out-weights the good :S

    She's so pretty <3 love her skin, it's very glowy in the face area. My eyes played a little trick on me, I thought her step mom was pointing a gun at her in one of the pics lmao I had to do a double take xD.

    "I love when you behave like the little slave you are. It makes me proud of you. Now run along." I feel bad for laughing at that comment but I did hahaha. Not at Cinderella, but the step-mom...She's just so fucked up, it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a functioning alcoholic, cause she drinks constantly every night to help her fall asleep, but she still manages to get up and dress like a queen each morning, while not drinking much at all during the day. Mostly the stepmother is just bored because she doesn't have a job, so she uses drinking to give her something to do.

      Her stepmother is conniving, deceitful, and a complete gold digger, so once she found out that Cynthia's dad had a large amount of money, she wanted to make him her new target. She might have stalked him to make sure no one else got to date him before she could get her hands on his money. That is definitely true, being naive and seeing the good in everyone isn't a good way to look at people because it can get you into huge trouble. Clearly, it worked out terribly for Cynthia's father.

      Aww, thanks, LOL. I really like the default skin I have for my Sims, it is really shiny, and pretty. ROFL, a gun? Was it the one where the stepmother is pointing at her after yelling at her? That's funny. XD

      LOL, it's completely fine that you laughed. Most times when I write silly shit like that, I laugh about it too. I like weaving in little bits of comedy into my stories even though they're not overall funny stories. XD

      Thanks for reading and commenting. :D

      Delete
  5. Hmm.. It makes me wonder why her stepmother never drank as much alcohol when she was with Cynthia's dad.. I feel like it could be two complete opposites. One, maybe because she actually DID feel at least a little something for Cynthia's dad and she ended up missing him, or two, maybe she's just celebrating the fact that she got all of his money and she doesn't care how much she drinks now because he ability to drink that much in quantity without lifting a finger makes her happy. *shrugs* She's a huge bitch, so I think it's safe to say that I'm going with option two more. XD
    I liked reading about what makes Cynthia so happy. I actually really love shopping at the grocery store, too, and I love looking at all of the fresh veggies and fruits when I first walk into the store, so I guess I can relate to her, and I really liked that. Even if I know strawberries aren't in season and I know I won't find a good batch, I sometimes still stop just to smell them XD hahaha
    Cynthia, just run.. Idc about your life there, it's better if you lived in a cardboard box alone in an alley rather than living there! LOL
    *breaks in all ninja-like wearing all black, carries her out of bed, busts her out through another window just to make more of a mess for her stepmother*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, haha, yeah, the mystery surrounding Cynthia's stepmom and her father's relationship is still one to be explored. She is quite the huge bitch as far as her "I want all your money" attitude, but at the same time, she is a person, and she might have some feelings buried somewhere inside her. Of course, with the way she is, your option two is way more likely. ROFL. She definitely does enjoy having an ass ton of money on hand to spend as she pleases to buy whatever the fuck she wants. Drinking does also give her something to do at night when she gets bored, so there's that too.
      Oh that's so cool you could relate to her. Grocery shopping can be a really fun experience if you stop to smell the wonder in it. LOL. I think as a society, we're too pessimistic, so little things like this can be that small spark of happiness in an otherwise busy, irritating day.
      ROFL, she might be better in a cardboard box... might be. LOL. She'd be spared the emotional abuse, but physically she'd probably get sick eventually from living on the streets. It's so icky out there sometimes. Plus, she's neat, so she'd probably have a panic attack just thinking about that. XD That's more the reason I think that she isn't just running away to join Cardboard Box Central, although It is certainly a funny idea. :D
      LMAO, loved your ninja saving of Cynthia. She appreciates that you care for her enough to want to rescue her.
      Thanks so much for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete